1. Did/do you always find running enjoyable? I started enjoying running more a few years ago when I realized that you can still gain fitness by running at slower, more casual, less intense paces.
2. What is your favorite distance? My favorite distances are either 400 meters or the marathon. I’m probably most competitive at the shortest distances, and the longer distances. And, I just completed a 50k and got 3rd so may that’s my calling?!
3. What do you struggle with most in running? I struggle with maintaining my non-running training like stretching, strength training and running-related drills.
4. Do you remember your first 5k, half marathon and/or marathon time? I ran 21:09 in my first 5k in 2009 before I became a “runner” in 2012. I’ve now run 50 races and have a record of each.
5. What is your advise for someone looking to improve speed and/or endurance? My main training advice is to use a polarized approach: take your easy runs at a slow pace and run your hard sessions all-out.
6. What is your can’t live without running gear, besides shoes? My watch is my favorite gear because I enjoy analyzing the results afterwards: paces, elevation, heart rate, etc.
7. Ok shoes, do you rotate? If yes, how many in rotation – explain. I’ve got several pairs in my rotation. Some at work for training during the day, some in my car, etc.
8. Do you have a mantra that you use when racing or training? No – don’t really have a mantra.
9. Do you ever feel unmotivated to train? If so, how do you overcome? Only when I’m peaking out my miles during a training cycle and becoming a bit “over-trained” do I have to push myself to get out the door. Running with friends or cross-training helps.
10. What is the best thing running has given you? The best thing running has given me is the motivation to stay fit and to eat right.
Erick is an inspiring runner that began running in his 40’s with a Boston qualifier in his first marathon. He continues to improve with age, tackling new distances on and off the road. We have no doubt that Erick will continue to inspire all of us!