1. Did/do you always find running enjoyable?
I started running in 8th grade track and from what I can remember I think so, but even before that the conditioning aspects of other sports never really bothered me.
2. What is your favorite distance?
There will always be a special place in my heart for the 400m, but at this point I’d say that I enjoy 10m / 20k / half races best.
3. What do you struggle with most in running?
As my fitness has increase there are just days where the workout from a time or effort perspective seems overwhelming.
4. Do you remember your first 5k, half marathon and/or marathon time?
No, that was SO long ago as a freshman in high school.
5. What is your advise for someone looking to improve speed and/or endurance?
Just to be consistent.
6. What is your can’t live without running gear, besides shoes?
My watch, on the rare occasion that I walk out the door without it I just feel lost.
7. Ok shoes, do you rotate? If yes, how many in rotation – explain.
Yep, I usually keep about 3 pairs in my rotation. When I restarted running I wore a single model and it was great at the start but over the years it changed enough that it no longer suited me. So one of the reasons I like to rotate is just to try different brands/models. I also like to use different pairs for different things i.e. long vs speed.
8. Do you have a mantra that you use when racing or training?
No, but I do like to listen to ESPN podcasts when I run alone.
9. Do you ever feel unmotivated to train? If so, how do you overcome?
All the time and I’m not always able to overcome it, but I think it helps to have a group to feel accountable to.
10. What is the best thing running has given you?
Since joining Rogue, John has brought many new perspectives to the team, we value his feedback and enjoy chasing him around the track. John also wins the award for most consistent paces during speed workouts.