1. Did/do you always find running enjoyable?
Yes, as a kid I used to run to school and back and we were always outside playing chase, tree chase and torch chase when it was dark.
2. What is your favorite distance?
10K and 10 mile
3. What do you struggle with most in running?
Injuries and motivation to get the miles in on days with no training partners.
4. Do you remember your first 5k, half marathon and/or marathon time?
I don’t remember but I wrote them down. 1st 5K 16:25 (at 33), 1st ½ marathon 1:14:36 (at 36), 1st marathon 2:47:33 (at 56).
5. What is your advice for someone looking to improve speed and/or endurance?
Run with a group that is pushing your comfort zone. On speed workouts really push yourself and finish the last rep thinking there is no way I can do one more, then do it! With my UK group we used to do a lot of cross country training (hills and speed work on grass). It is really good for strength and endurance and running on road feels so easy after XC season!
6. What is your can’t live without running gear, besides shoes?
My prerace mp3 player for getting pumped up.
7. Ok shoes, do you rotate? If yes, how many in rotation – explain.
Good idea to rotate, helps to avoid injuries apparently. I try and not wear same pair or even same model twice in a row.
8. Do you have a mantra that you use when racing or training?
It varies with whatever “pump-up” song I’m into. Right now it is “right here right now” by fatboy slim.
9. Do you ever feel unmotivated to train? If so, how do you overcome?
I always like to be active but have difficulty running unless it is a mountain trail or with a group. If I don’t have someone to run with I gravitate to the bike.
10. What is the best thing running has given you?
Many things – friendship, exploration, a feeling of health and well-being, stress relief, a good hard run in the summer makes an ice cold beer taste good.
Paul’s ability to smile ear to ear while running at warp speed is a true phenomenon. He also holds the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon 55-59 Age Group record with a 2:45:13 and he makes the most delicious scones from scratch. Every team needs a Paul, but hands off, this one is ours.